142 Solvent and mineral spirits are used in a variety of industrial applications. Some applications can use a solvent or spirit to produce the same result. Deciding which chemical will produce the best results comes down to the specific attributes each chemical has.
Applications of 142 Solvent vs Mineral Spirits
Choosing between 142 solvents and mineral spirits can be made easier by knowing some of their specific applications.
142 Solvent is used in four distinct industrial practices.
- Degreasing – 142 Solvent can be used to clean or degrease machinery in an industrial setting. The solvent can also be used to prevent buildup to keep machinery operating efficiently by using the solvent as a polishing or cleaning agent.
- Product Production – 142 is used to produce adhesives, degreasing agents, polishes, abrasives, lamp oils, pesticides, and paint thinners.
- Freeze Point Reduction – 142 Solvent can be used as a freeze point depressant to prevent icing and freezing because the solvent has a lower crystallization temperature than other similar liquids.
- Industrial Process Fluids – 142 Solvent is used as a metalworking fluid and an oil field drilling fluid.
Mineral Spirits have similar applications to 142 Solvent, including:
- Power Degreasing Agent – As a non-polar substance, mineral spirits have excellent degreasing properties. Mineral spirits can degrease machines, automobiles, tools, and other surfaces.
- Dirt, Paint, and Grime Remover – Mineral Spirits are an effective grime, dirt, and paint cleaner thanks to its alcohol-like properties. The potency of spirits is particularly effective when it comes to removing paint.
- Machine Maintenance – With a petroleum base, Mineral Spirits are used as a polish because they have brightening qualities without compromising the surfaces.
- Scratch Remover – For non-porous surfaces, Mineral Spirits can be used to remove stains and erase minor scratch marks.
Benefits of 142 Solvent vs Mineral Spirits
Deciding between these two chemical products can be difficult, but looking at the benefits of each can be used to determine the best option for your industrial or commercial needs.
Here are only some of the benefits associated with 142 Solvent:
- Intermediate flashpoint
- Manufacturing process of the solvent yields low levels of paraffins
- Ideal solvent for industrial cleaning products
- Mild odor
- Exhibits the strongest solvency strength than any other aliphatic solvent with a 140°F flashpoint
- Contains less than 1% of aromatics
And here are some of the benefits associated with mineral spirits:
- Blends well into oil-based paint, stain, and varnish
- No odor
- Insoluble in water
- Removes and dissolves grease, grime, and oil from most surfaces
- Substitute for turpentine
Need More Information?
If you’re still not sure which chemical is best for your business, then reach out to our team of experts today! BulkChemicals2Go offer a free quote and consultation to help you find the right products for your specific needs.