What is Isopropyl Alcohol?
Also known as isopropanol, or IPA, isopropyl alcohol is a colorless liquid that is a simple alcohol comprised of an isopropyl group bonded to a hydroxyl group. IPA is completely miscible in water, chloroform, ether, and ethanol. Unlike other common alcohols methanol and ethanol, isopropanol cannot combine with salt solutions and can be separated from water solutions with the addition of salt. This type of alcohol is extremely flammable and has a strong, distinctive scent.
IPA is usually manufactured through a chemical reaction between sulfuric acid and propylene. This reaction is followed by hydrolysis, which leaves IPA as a result.
What is it Used For?
Isopropyl alcohol is used for a variety of things across different industries. It can easily denature most viruses and bacteria, as well as the occasional fungi. It is also very easily miscible in any water temperature, acetone, methanol, ether, and several other chemicals. Thanks to these properties, you might see IPA being used in various settings including:
- pharmaceutical labs
- nail salons
- tattoo shops
The most common function of isopropanol is sanitizing or cleaning. Its antiseptic qualities make it reliable enough to clean medical instruments and machinery, as well as some electronics and other surfaces.
In addition to being an outstanding disinfectant, isopropyl alcohol can be diluted for use in:
- paint strippers
- rubbing alcohol—it is the primary component of this type of alcohol
Benefits of Buying IPA in Bulk
There are several benefits to buying isopropyl alcohol in bulk. For example, buying in bulk can:
- Save money. Buying any product in bulk reduces the price to wholesale pricing because operational costs are much lower. When purchasing a product that you know you’ll be using often, buying in bulk can save hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars.
- Save time. Having large quantities of IPA on hand can save lots of time—you won’t need to purchase the product as often, so you won’t be stuck sitting around waiting for shipments to arrive.
- Reduce environmental footprint. When chemicals are made in bulk, operational costs decrease and energy use decreases. In addition to functional expense reduction, bulk packaging means less packaging is used than standard.
- Facilitate budgeting. Having a large supply will make it easy to know when more chemical needs to be purchased. Bulk orders can be placed routinely, making it simple to know when payments for chemicals must be made.
- Ensure consistent product. Purchasing bulk amounts of a chemical ensures that you will receive a high-quality, homogenous solution.
Looking to Buy Isopropyl Alcohol in Bulk?
Here at Bulk Chemicals 2 Go, we provide the highest-quality chemicals in affordable bulk shipments. As a division of EcoLink, Inc, we aim to provide environmentally friendly options to fit your chemical needs. Contact our team here today to learn more about our customizable chemical blending, or to place a wholesale order.