Dimethyl carbonate is an eco-friendly substitute for dimethyl sulfate, methyl halides, and other traditionally utilized industrial chemicals. It is primarily an alternative to dimethyl sulfate and doesn’t have as many negative side effects as this chemical compound.
In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at why dimethyl carbonate is a great eco-friendly alternative to other traditional chemicals.
Replacing Toxic Chemicals
Dimethyl carbonate is used to replace dimethyl sulfate for several reasons. Although dimethyl sulfate is highly effective and affordable for methylation reactions, it poses high occupational hazards to workers and environmental hazards. These hazards include:
- Acute oral or inhalation exposure damages the lungs and can also injure the kidneys, liver, and central nervous system
- Acute dermal contact may produce severe blistering
- Acute exposure to vapors may cause severe inflammation and necrosis of the mouth, eyes, and respiratory tract
- Inhalation of particulate matter generated by coal combustion from nearby coal-fired power generating plants
To reduce these hazards, companies are replacing toxic chemicals with similar but more eco-friendly substances such as dimethyl carbonate.
Dimethyl Carbonate as a Safer Alternative
Substituting dimethyl carbonate for other traditionally hazardous chemicals can reduce the occupational risks workers face and limit the particulate matter that can cause exposure. This chemical has many desirable characteristics, making it a viable choice for replacing a harmful substance.
Benefits of this chemical include:
- Exempt from most of the restrictions placed on VOCs in the U.S.
- Low evaporation rate
- Freeze-thaw stability
- Low density
- Low maximum incremental reactivity
Not only is this chemical a safer alternative to dimethyl sulfate, but it can also be used in many other applications. Some of these applications are:
- Paint and coatings as a carrier solvent or dispersing medium for pigments, binders, and colorants
- Rapid biodegradability and low toxicity for most degreasing applications
- A replacement for toluene and ethyl acetate in gravure printing inks
- Resin manufacturing as an alternative for alkylating agents used in a variety of synthetic and industrial processes
Looking to Buy Safer Chemical Alternatives?
At BulkChemicals2Go, we supply companies with greener chemical alternatives in bulk quantities. Not only do our chemicals replace traditional toxic substances, but they can be used in an array of applications. Contact us today to learn more!