We all know isopropyl alcohol can be used to clean surfaces, but did you know that isopropyl alcohol, abbreviated as IPA, is also a degreaser? Not only is it highly effective at killing microbes, IPA is also known for its strong degreasing properties.
What Can IPA Clean?
Typically, grime and stubborn greases are very hard to clean up, but not with IPA. IPA eliminates the difficulty of removing grime, grease, oil, and other types of build-ups. Because of this, IPA can be used to clean mechanical equipment used in manufacturing that has heavy build-up of dirt, grease, and/or oil. Using IPA to remove grease from these types of equipment can result in prevention of damage and significant cost savings.
Additionally, IPA can be used to strip dried resins and resin spills. This is a very useful trait for the cleaning of 3D printers, which can become damaged by resin buildup.
Using IPA as a Degreaser: Tips
- Avoid using isopropyl alcohol in an enclosed space with bad ventilation.
- Avoid using isopropyl alcohol near sources of ignition, such as electrical outlets.
- Do not use isopropyl alcohol on sensitive fabrics, such as rayon, silk, and wool.
- Do not use isopropyl alcohol to clean surfaces with finishes.
Using IPA as a Degreaser: Tricks
- Can be used to clean stainless steel to give it a shiny polished look.
- Spray the stainless-steel surface with 70% IPA.
- Wipe the surface with the grain using a microfiber cloth.
- Can be used to clean nonporous electronic surfaces.
- You can remove a build-up of cream and other substances in gold and silver jewelry.
- Can be used to remove stains from clothes.
To use IPA as a degreaser, spray the area that you wish to degrease and let the IPA sit for a few minutes before wiping for optimal degreasing. If the surface is nonporous or has small openings where IPA should not enter, avoid spraying. In this case, carefully wipe with a microfiber cloth.
Where to Buy Isopropyl Alcohol?
If you’re looking to buy isopropyl alcohol in bulk, you’ve come to the right place! BulkChemicals2Go is here to help you with your business needs, and you can find IPA here. If you are interested in other effective solvents for various applications, reach out to our staff here today to help you find the best solvent for you!