Have you ever used isopropyl alcohol as a topical disinfectant? If you have, then you might be surprised to know that it can be used on many other objects and surfaces. Aside from being an effective topical disinfectant, isopropyl alcohol, which is sometimes abbreviated as IPA, can also be used to clean electronics.
Why Use IPA for Electronics Cleaning?
There are a number of reasons for using IPA for electronics cleaning, some of which are listed below:
- Quick evaporation rate
- Leaves no residue
- Easy accessibility
- Safe on most electronic parts (aside from polycarbonate electronic parts)
IPA for Electronics Cleaning: Step-By-Step Guide to Cleaning Computers
- Wear protective gloves as a high concentration of IPA can be irritating to the skin.
- Make sure the device is powered off, and unplugged, and the batteries are removed where it is removable.
- The device should not be connected or plugged into other devices.
- Use a microfiber cloth dampened with 70% IPA and 30% water. Never spray onto devices as this could damage the device.
- Gently wipe the surface and avoid excessive wiping.
- Ensure the device surface is dry before turning on the device.
- Dispose of the gloves and clean your hands when you’re done.
- IPA is highly flammable, so avoid having it close to any ignition sources. Cleaning a device that is turned on and plugged in can be dangerous, so make sure it is unplugged.
- High concentrations of IPA can cause eye irritation and drowsiness, so it would be ideal to use it in a well-ventilated area.
- Be careful with static discharge, as it can potentially ignite IPA.
- If isopropyl alcohol comes into contact with your eyes, rinse them out immediately with water and get help from an ophthalmologist immediately.
Looking for Electronic Cleaning Solutions?
BulkChemicals2Go is the perfect place for you! We provide a selection of high-quality solvents for various business applications. We strive to balance eco-friendliness and effective solutions while providing dozens of customers with cost-effective chemicals in bulk. You may view our selection of solvents here! Or reach out to our staff here today!