Isopropyl alcohol is great for cleaning electronics. Not only is it conveniently available to buy at drug stores, it’s an effective way to kill germs accumulating on your phone, tablet, or other touchscreen and non-touchscreen devices.
Most electronic manufacturers recommend a 70% IPA solution to kill germs and keep your devices safe. Once you’ve obtained the solution, follow these helpful tips to clean your electronics with isopropyl alcohol.
5 Helpful Tips for Cleaning Electronics with IPA
- Power off the device – Make sure all devices are completely powered off before cleaning. This will help prevent clicking anything you don’t want to, and prevent any negative interactions between electricity and the solution, should you use too much or get it in places that aren’t intended to be exposed to liquids.
- Use a microfiber cloth – Use a clean microfiber cloth rather than a tissue or paper product for a better cleanse. Using this specific material of cloth to clean your screen will help reduce the amount of residue left behind on the screen, and will also minimize the streaks IPA can leave behind if lots are applied.
- Dampen, don’t saturate – Isopropyl alcohol is a great, convenient solution to use when cleaning electronics, especially when paired with a microfiber cloth. However, you should never saturate the cloth with IPA, only dampen it. The best way to do this is to fill a spray bottle with the solution and lightly mist it onto the cloth. If the screen or electronic device is exposed to too much solution, it increases the risk of the solution leaking into a sensitive area of the device and doing irreversible damage.
- Use a cotton swab for hard-to-reach places – When cleaning keyboards or devices with grooves and buttons, a cloth is great for the surface, but using a cotton swab will help you clean those crevices and crooks in the device that are hard to reach. Same as with a cloth, make sure to only dampen the cotton swab and never saturate it.
- Spot-clean TV screens – Some TV screens aren’t as durable as the touchscreen on a cell phone or other devices and should be treated with extra care when cleaning. Always make sure to use a microfiber cloth, and if possible, spot-clean the TV screen to remove fingerprints and unwanted smudges to minimize the possibility of scratching or damaging the TV.
Looking to Buy Isopropyl Alcohol in Bulk?
Bulk Chemicals 2 Go provides companies with bulk solutions. Visit our catalog listing page to view our sizing options for IPA and start your order immediately.
Have questions? Contact us here!