Navigating the Hazards of Isopropyl Alcohol: Precautions and Tips

Navigating the Hazards of Isopropyl Alcohol: Precautions and Tips

Isopropyl alcohol is a widely used chemical for various industrial applications, such as a cleaning agent. However, as with most chemicals, it comes with its own set of hazards. You must be able to handle them safely. The hazards of this chemical mainly include the compound’s high flammability and toxicity.  

Identifying Isopropyl Alcohol  

An important step in chemical safety is being able to keep track of what is what. Any hazardous chemicals should be stored in an airtight container, with a label denoting the chemical’s name and its hazards. If no such label is present, this chemical can also be identified by other facts. These can include its colorless appearance or its distinct scent. If you can smell its odor, even if the substance is in an airtight container, check the container for damage.  

Flammability of Isopropyl Alcohol  

This chemical, as mentioned above, is highly flammable. This is true for both its liquid and vapor states.   

Its vapor is denser than air, which means that it does not diffuse into low concentrations as quickly as many other volatile liquids. This makes the vapor more susceptible to ignition sources such as:  

  • Open flames  
  • Heat  
  • Sparks  

It is very important to make sure none of these sources are nearby when handling substances like this one.  

Toxicity of Isopropyl Alcohol  

Health-related hazards for this substance usually follow one of these four forms of exposure:  

  • Inhalation  
  • Ingestion  
  • Skin Contact  
  • Eye Contact  

While this chemical is not extremely volatile, it does produce enough vapor to be a mild inhalation hazard.   

Any effects can be easily avoided by working with this chemical in a large, open area with proper ventilation. If too much is inhaled, it can irritate several parts of the body. In rare cases of inhalation, the symptoms from this exposure can become severe, resulting in the need for medical attention.  

It is also highly unsafe to ingest, as it can cause sickness and organ damage. Any who has swallowed this alcohol should seek immediate medical treatment, especially for large amounts.  

Skin contact with this substance is a minor hazard, with most effects only being noticeable after long or repeated exposure. Common symptoms can include rashes or itches. After exposure, wash the area off with soap and water to limit adverse effects.  

Eye contact with this chemical is a greater hazard than skin contact. Any eye contact should be immediately followed by flushing your eyes. Eye contact symptoms include burning or severe irritation. If not dealt with immediately, permanent damage can occur.   

Where to Buy Isopropyl Alcohol  

Here at BulkChemicals2Go, we offer this substance along with several others for your industrial needs. Our products are designed to promote safe chemical usage and efficiency. If you would like to learn more, contact us here. Our staff is dedicated to helping you find the best chemical solutions today!