What is 99% Isopropyl Alcohol Used For?

What is 99% Isopropyl Alcohol Used For?

What is 99% Isopropyl Alcohol?

99% Isopropyl alcohol is an isomer of propyl alcohol, meaning it is related to propane. It is colorless, flammable, and has a smell similar to that of rubbing alcohol. When the concentration of percentage of Isopropyl alcohol is at 70% it is known as rubbing alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is one of the purest forms available on the market.

Benefits of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol

This alcohol is a very efficient disinfectant. It evaporates rapidly and leaves no noticeable residue. Because of this, it is excellent at removing grease, grime, and sticky materials. It also has a wide range of applications across many industries as well. 99% Isopropyl alcohol is also not corrosive for metals and plastics which enables it to be used on many surfaces.         

What is 99% Isopropyl Alcohol Used For?

One of the main uses of 99% Isopropyl alcohol is to disinfect. It’s used to disinfect hospitals and pharmaceutical laboratories. Its disinfectant power is up to par in medical applications. As such, it is also used to prevent infections. Injuries like scrapes and cuts have probably come into contact with this alcohol at one point or another. It’s often used in the tattoo and body modification industry as well.

99% Isopropyl alcohol can do more than just disinfect. It can be found in paint thinners and inks as well. Sometimes it is used as a paint stripper. This also makes it applicable to industrial cleaning. Because it doesn’t leave residue and contains negligible moisture content it’s perfect for electronics that cannot be exposed to water.

You can also find it used in dye solutions, antifreeze, soaps, lacquers, perfume, and even pharmaceuticals. Sometimes it’s used as a solvent for essential oils. In other cases, it works as a fuel additive.

Final Fun Fact

Have you ever wondered what the 1% remaining contains in 99% Isopropyl alcohol? Turns out the inactive ingredient is often purified water.

Looking to Learn More?

Bulk Chemicals 2 Go is happy to answer your chemical questions about 99% Isopropyl alcohol and many other chemicals! Click here to find out more about 99% isopropyl alcohol or click here to browse our selection of available chemicals.